Pork roast from Visoko na Poljanah
Medium, 1 hour and 30 minutes
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 15 minutes per kilo of meat
Yields: 4 people
Recipe submitted by Lavrinec Jože, dietitian on behalf of the Slovenian Society of Nephrology
About this recipe
Visoko na Poljanah is a village in Slovenia, the scene of a famous Slovenian novel.
- Roughly 1.5kg lean pork (trimmed pork chop without the bone, thigh)
- 2 large carrots (approx. 200g)
- Half a lemon
- thinly sliced Spoonful of oil
- 1 garlic clove Bay leaves, cloves, cumin, ground pepper, a chopped sprig of parsley
Calories per serving
- To prepare the meat, place the face up on a cutting board and make a 1cm deep cut along the entire length of the inside (where the bone was attached).
- Clean the carrots, slice them lengthwise into thirds then semi-cook the pieces in water or bone broth.
- Sprinkle the meat with pepper and cumin.
- Rub the herbs into the meat.
- Place the carrot pieces into the opening and sliced them into the meat.
- Prick the meat with the cloves then roll it up into a roulade and tie it together with string suitable for roasting.
- Next, place thin slices of garlic and lemons over the meat, finishing with some chopped parsley.
- Start by heating the oven to 200°C then roast the meat at 180°C. Roasting time: roughly 2 hours (1 hour 15 minutes per kilo of meat). The dish can be served hot or cold.